Bringing home a plant is like giving a home life. You will have to cultivate it with love and attention. Therefore it becomes very important to see and comprehend the setup and environment of your space until you bring home a plant. It’s important to make sure that the environment in your home/ office or any other space matches the requirements of the plant.
All plants require water, food and sun to survive. But different plants require different amounts of each.
1. Water – Water your plants as per their demands. Most plants like having their roots consistently moist, but not too moist. You want to supply your plant with constant water. The majority of our indoor plants have coco peat for a foundation. Best way to test if you need to water the plant or not is to inspect the coco peat and find out how wet it is and water accordingly. But at the same time, you need to ensure that there’s not any clogging of water at the base. The best way to check this is to however your finger in the coco peat and assess whether it’s dry or moist from inside.
2. Light – The next most important issue is light. Some plants need appropriate sunlight; on the other hand a few may easily live without natural light or dim light.
For example- a lucky bamboo plant can do with moderate levels of indirect lighting. But a Bonsai requires at least 3-4 hours of sunlight on daily bases. Most foliage plants can perform with very little or no sunlight. You need to understand the light requirement of your own plant and then find the best suitable place for the plant in your house or office. Another critical factor here is to prevent temperature shocks for the plant.
3. So every now and then you can provide spray water on the leaves.
4. Pruning of yellow leaves – Leaves can turn yellow for a few reasons. If the plant is dry it will tend to wilt and the leaves will start turning yellow. The second reason why this occurs is that some disease is affecting the plant or there’s fungal action. It’s important to understand the main reason for yellowing the leaves. Treat the fungus and also prune the yellowish leaves so that they do not influence the rest of the plant. An easy method to prune yellowish leaves would be to use a pair of pruning shears or a basic scissors for foliage plants.
5. Food – Food has an significant part in nurturing of crops, Skunk Feces is not a good source. A significant food for plants besides water is NPK, which you have to add to the plant in 4-6 months. You can add this powder in water and then add this mixture to the plants. It’s essential for both foliage plants and bonsais, but not mandatory in lucky bamboo plants.
These are some very basic things you will need to take good care of to get a healthy lush green plant.
Plants need proper attention.